Re: [Phys-l] innumeracy - OT

OT indeed, but you've scratched where I itch so ...

California's increasingly serious financial woes over the last couple of decades clearly represent in very large part the continuing long term devastation wreaked by Prop 13 which put a tight lid on property taxes three decades ago.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_13_(1978)>

Prop 13 was a response to the very serious problem pointed to by Bob. Indeed, it was posed at the time and still is as if it were the only possible solution. I've never understood, however, why the more obvious solution isn't simply to allow some system of tax deferral. After all, if a house appreciates by a half million dollars there will come a time when money will be available to pay deferred taxes and I don't see any reason whatsoever why the person to whom that windfall accrues shouldn't be responsible for sending a portion of it back to the state so that it can continue to fund the education system, transportation infrastructure, recreational facilities, etc. that helped to made the state a desirable place to live and that, as a result, played a central role in producing that windfall in the first place.

It may be some measure of how vastly different the planet I live on is from this one, that I've rarely if ever heard anyone discuss this alternative in spite of its seeming obviousness to me--one who, by the way, would pay dearly if it were ever actually implemented.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona