Re: [Phys-l] thermo question

At 08:56 AM 3/1/2008, you wrote:

Consider a fixed amount of gas (moist air) in a container of fixed volume.
The container is in an environment of fixed temperature. When equilibrium is
reached, what quantity or quantities will be constant throughout the volume
of gas?

This question comes from my desire to understand from first principles how
to maintain a constant relative humidity in a fixed amount of gas.

Justin (absent from the list for a while)

We can suppose that before equilibrium is reached, the following
quantities can vary: air speed in the container, temperature of the
moist air, relative humidity of the moist air, amount of ice present (!),
pressure of the air mix, entropy of the air mix.
We can consider the following quantities constant: air mass, water mass,
container mass.
To maintain a constant relative humidity greater than zero in an air
mass, it is necessary to either:
hold the temperature of the air mass constant at the same value as
the container
or
Add water with increasing airtemperature, and subtract water at
decreasing temperature, paying special attention at the ambient
freezing point.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!