From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of mrmeyer@mtu.edu
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 10:26 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] special ed/relativity

At Michigan Tech, we've addressed this issue by teaching 2 different
algebra-based courses - one for pre-meds, and one for students from
our
school of Technology. The latter group usually has more of the
mathematical difficulties described here and doesn't need the
"full-boat"
in terms of content--so we teach less content and take time to address
the
math issues.

We used to teach college physics every semester - now we teach the
pre-med
version fall semester and the school of technology version spring
semester. We worked with the departments involved to make sure they
can
get their students in on the right schedule. Occassionally a students
"has" to take the "wrong" course because they're out of sequence...but
this works MUCH better for the vast majority of students.

Mike Meyer
Lecturer/Lab Coordinator
MTU Physics Dept.
mrmeyer@mtu.edu