Re: [Phys-l] Should equation solving be done with calculators and robots or by hand?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Highland" <shighlan@uslink.net>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Should equation solving be done with calculators and robots or by hand?

I think my earlier posts may have given the impression that I want to go too
far in reducing algebra manipulations in physics problem solving. My goal
is to make better use of robots to take care of 'chore' sorts of tasks that
steal attention and time that I think could be better devoted to expressing
physical reasoning in words and interpreting the *meaning* of answers.

Piles of algebra just aren't what I'm looking for in solutions to physics
problems. That seems to be what a lot of students crank out, though. I
want language instead.

The suggestion that increasing the use of computer aids in problem solving might be beneficial to student's understanding suggests to me that too many problems are being assigned. I limit assignments to about 10 problems per chapter and all of those tend to be 2nd (mid) level (books vary in how such is indicated) problems which tend to avoid the 'plug & chug' style of 1st (low) level problems and the complex math manipulations of 3rd (high) level problems. I supplement with Heller-style 'real-world' problems. This number usually can cover the 'different' problem types in a given chapter.

The algebraic manipulations ARE part of the learning process, the thought process, the skill learning. They sharpen the student's logic. OTOH, I have no problem with students getting numerical answers for a quadratic equation from a higher level calculator function or using the matrix solving capabilities of their calculators to solve something like Kirchoff equations since students would have to get the 'physics' correct to get to that point. In my Calculus level course, I often (always on tests) accept the integral with appropriate limits as the solution. I know the students can look up the integral and (by that point in the course) do any algebraic manipulations. Setting up the integral for an appropriate solution contains all the physics.

I do like the idea of getting _some_ programming into the course--it can really help basic understanding. I've lost a semester out of our Chem-majors sequence and consequently have had to drop a programming exercise (retain spread-sheet exercises), but when I was doing this (having them program a 2-d electric charge interaction--with animated charges), I could teach the class the programming needed by using TrueBasic which has very intuitive commands and very algebra like structures. I would spend no more than half a class on the programming and then give the programming project as a one-week assignment.

Using the technology is much more 'job' related than it is basic knowledge and skill related. Too much technology and too little knowledge can be a dangerous mix. ;-(

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College