Re: [Phys-l] momentum first and relativistic mass

--- Richard Tarara <rbtarara@sprynet.com> wrote: SNIP

I guess what I
am saying is that I
can't see a group that can't work with simple
fractions (the Carnot
efficiency equation is a great mystery), who often
pick up the calculator to
multiply by one, who ALWAYS pick it up to divide by
10, who can't fathom a
1/r^2 dependency, (and many other mathematical
deficiencies--for most but
not all) ever really 'understanding' special
relativity. Understanding is
not the goal--accepting that there are reproducible
phenomena that require
this newer model is the goal. I would push for
understanding at the 'modern
physics' level of coursework--physics majors, maybe
science/engineering
majors. I'm not sure everyone here understands how
difficult it is to get
intro students to understand Newton's Laws--how
difficult the Force Concept
Inventory is for most students. Understanding
Special Relativity is a
difficult goal.

VERY well said. Frequently people seem to talk past
each other on this list largely b/c (IMO) they are
serving VERY different audiences. Teaching physics
majors is a whole different kettle of fish than trying
to dislodge the naive beliefs of intro HS students and
get them to accept Newt mechs.

John Barrere