Re: [Phys-l] Should equation solving be done with calculators and robots or by hand?

Some interesting questions. IMO there is a lot useful mental exercise and useful practice in methodical problem solving skills in going through the algebra which you don't get by just setting up the equations in the typical "toy" problems one uses to learn the material in high school or introductory courses.

I'm not sure where the answer lies, but I suspect that the product of what would come out of a curriculum where the "robot" does all the math won't be a skilled problem solver, but rather a person who gives up when problems get frustrating.

I'm quite glad my 1st grade daughter isn't being taught arithmetic on a calculator for example. I don't think it would be a disaster if students weren't allowed to touch calculators until high school; and even then only under adult supervision. :-)

I've noticed the math department at our university is beginning to be less enamored with graphing calculators and using them for teaching the algebra and calculus classes. I think this is happening for a reason. If you think that the math classes and the physics classes should be reinforcing each other (I do) then I'd say its a mistake. (Not to mention the Chemistry and the Biology and English classes).

Joel Rauber
Department of Physics - SDSU

Joel.Rauber@sdstate.edu
605-688-4293

| I just wrote up an answer to this question --
|
| http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080227052243AApa
SBY&r=w&pa=FZp