Re: [Phys-l] energy is well defined

On 02/23/2008 08:59 PM, Jeffrey Schnick wrote:

Also, more importantly: As soon as you allow a parcel to have
nonzero KE,

I don't. The KE associated with the motion of the parcel relative to
the center of mass of the system is energy of the system, not of the
parcel.

At the very least, that is confusing. It seems like a problem,
for reasons discussed below.

If it isn't attached to the system then what you get when you sum up
the internal energies of all the parcels and the energy due to the
configuration of the parcels relative to each other and the (1/2)mv2
for each parcel with v being the speed of the particle relative to
the reference frame in question (call it O), is not the energy of the
system. It includes a (1/2)MV2 part (where the M is the total energy
of the system and the V is the speed of the center of mass of the
system relative in O. That part represents energy that might be a
contribution to some supersystem whose center of mass is at rest in
frame O, but it is not energy of the system. I don't think that that
energy is going to be useful in predicting how the parcels of the
system interact with each other.

I'm not interested in philosophy or metaphysics; I'm trying
to see how this applies to real-world tasks such as fluid
dynamics. Suppose we have an airplane flying through a fluid.
It is conventional and convenient to divide the fluid into
many parcels, and analyze things parcel by parcel, using a
reference frame comoving with the airplane.

To me, at least, this serves as a clear example of why I don't
want to focus attention on capital "The" capital "System" where
M is the mass of "The System". I don't know M and I don't need
to know M. For all I know, M is infinite.

We agree that MV^2 is not useful ... but so what? I am not
required to evaluate M or MV^2. I am not even tempted to
evaluate such things.

I don't need to know M because all the laws of physics that I
need are *local* laws. I can analyze each fluid parcel separately,
taking into account only that parcel and a few of its neighbors.

FWIW as corollaries of the local laws you can prove some
global laws, but I don't need the global laws in order to
do practical physics.

More generally, there are innumerable useless quantities
that could be mentioned. The goal should be to formulate
physics in such a way that there is no requirement (and
little if any temptation) to mention useless quantities.

To summarize:
-- M is not useful.
-- MV^2 is not useful.
-- Focusing attention on "The System" is not useful.
++ Focusing attention on many local subsystems *is* useful.
++ A reference frame comoving with the airplane (not comoving
with the fluid) *is* useful.