From: Robert Cohen <Robert.Cohen@po-box.esu.edu>
To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:55:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Earthquakes in Baja

You may have already seen this, but that site <http://quake.usgs.gov/>,
in their FAQ list, suggests that it is not predictive: "A temporal
increase in earthquake activity does not mean that a large earthquake is
about to happen. Similarly, quiescence, or the lack of seismicity, does
not mean a large earthquake is going to happen." However, they don't
provide any references.

Robert A. Cohen, Department of Physics, East Stroudsburg University
570.422.3428 rcohen@po-box.esu.edu http://www.esu.edu/~bbq