Re: [Phys-l] energy is well defined

On Feb 19, 2008, at 2:49 PM, Bill Nettles wrote:

Ludwik said: "One can say that energy is a concept similar to work." This bothers me a little bit. Energy is a fundamental, work is a process. They are similar like dirt (energy) and a shovel (work). Rather than the defining energy in terms of "work," I think a better, more developed concept is that work is a process (the process?) that moves (transfers) energy from place to place and object to object. Define work in terms of what it does to localized energy "content" (the work-energy theorem). Then say that work is done on an object by a force when the object has a component of motion (displacement) parallel to the force.

Symbols in our formulas stand for physical quantities. Yes, the word "work" also can be used to describe a process, for example, a process that makes us tired, a process resulting in bringing a boat from one location to another, a process resulting in heating a room with electric current, etc. etc. Some physical quantities (mass, charge, time and distance) are fundamental, while others are mathematically defined (directly or indirectly) in terms of fundamental quantities, such as v, m*v, m*g*h, 0.5*m*v^2 , 0.5*k*x^2, etc. etc. Physical quantities refer to objects (such as shovels) or to various aspects of physical processes (such as decrease in momentum and kinetic energy).

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physisist
5 Horizon Road, apt.2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/