Re: [Phys-l] energy is well defined.

I don't know if anyone else has read John's notes on Energy. They are very
interesting to me and quickly are over my head. ( 2 hot potatoes can do more
work as long as we keep the cold one as well, I think.)

I want to teach energy to my high school students and would love a
definition and was excited to be told that it is well defined. Then I read
the part of the notes named "Definition of Energy" and several sentences
jumped out at me:
1."It is more important to *understand* energy than to *define* energy. We
can and will define it, but the definition is not super-simple nor
super-concise. The concept of energy is so fundamental that there is no
point in looking for a concise definition in terms of anything more
fundamental."
2."Energy is somewhat abstract. There is no getting around that. You just
have to get used to it – by accumulating experience, seeing how energy
behaves in various situations. As abstractions go, energy is one of the
easiest to understand, because it is so precise and well-behaved."
3."The most important thing about energy is its role in the law of
conservation of energy,...."

I am still looking for the well defined statement of energy, suitable for my
neophytes, but I feel better that what have done in my classes for 40 years
falls into these 3 statements.

Ken Fox