Re: [Phys-l] Origin & Significance of the Crazy Old Sea Captain Story

Don Polvani, in his Phys-L post of 15 Feb 2008 07:02:55-0600 titled "Re: [Phys-l] Origin & Significance of the Crazy Old Sea Captain Story" wrote:

"I found this post. . . .[Hake (2008b)]. . . much more interesting once I knew what the Crazy Old Sea Captain Story actually was. If, like me, your education in stories about sea captains has been sadly neglected, you can remedy that situation by going to:
<http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=1693846&tstart=0>"

Or, closer to home, go to the Phys-L archives at
<https://carnot.physics.buffalo.edu/archives/2008/2_2008/msg00034.html> with the responses by Leon Deoliveira at <https://carnot.physics.buffalo.edu/archives/2008/2_2008/msg00058.html> and Brian Whatcott at <https://carnot.physics.buffalo.edu/archives/2008/2_2008/msg00059.html>.

Or, after clicking on <http://tinyurl.com/yqbr4m>, read the first sentence below the abstract:

"As of 13 Feb 2008 there had been 34 responses to my post "The Crazy Old Sea Captain - A Parable of Science?" [Hake (2008a)]."

Don Polvani's initial ignorance of the "Crazy Old Sea Captain Story" could probably have been avoided if I had followed my own universally ignored posting suggestions and titled my post:

"Origin & Significance of the Crazy Old Sea Captain Story (was "The Crazy Old Sea Captain - A Parable of Science?"

This would have been consistent with suggestion #2 of"Fourteen Posting Suggestions" [Hake (2005)]:

2. Use SUBJECT HEADINGS that accurately convey the topic of the post (especially important for following threads in archive searches). If you are replying to a post whose subject heading follows an established thread such as "trim the message" and you think the subject of your post would be better stated as "Fourteen Posting Suggestions," then give the subject in the thread preserving form "Fourteen Posting Suggestions (was trim the message)."

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands.
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>