[Phys-l] defn of Capacitance

This was originally sent on 2-12. Apparently lost in the downed server problem.
***************************************
John Denker wrote:
. . .
1) In one direction, we have not just a linear equation, but a
*system* of linear equations:
Vi = Pij Qj + G [1a]
? Qj = 0 [1b]

where G expresses gauge invariance and where equation [1b]
expresses charge neutrality.
. . .
This probably isn't the end of the story. I need to think
about this some more. I've never had to worry about Pij
before; Cij has always been sufficient for my needs. . . .

While you're pondering, just realize that your treatment differs from that
of all texts I have seen. All of the texts follow the original treatment of
Maxwell (Chapter III) by NOT including the additive constatnt G in your [1a]
and by NOT imposing your equation [1b] .

They honor gauge invariance by allowing the Vi's to be defined from any
chosen zero reference. They also leave the system open to describe
localized situations in which the sum of the Qi's may be anything (not just
zero). This only requires that the considered system is distantly removed
from all other (not included) charges.

Note that this allows complete freedom in imposing Qi's (or Vi's) when
considering special situations for the purpose of calculating the Pij's (or
Cij's), since the Cij's and Pij's are determined only by geometry.
Imposing charge neutrality for the chosen system severly limits these
choices - and it is not necessary (it doesn't change the Pij's or the
Cij's).
Bob Sciamanda