[Phys-l] Heat is not a noun

Romer claims that heat should not be used as a noun. While I agree
with the spirit of using the word heat correctly, I disagree that heat
is not a noun. Heat is indeed a noun, but it is the name of a process,
not the name of what is transferred.

Heat as it is used since Carnot is not correctly used as a noun. Heating may be, but heat is not a substance, not a fluid, it doesn't flow; in the expression W+Q=dE, Q is WORK. Why can't physics teachers learn not to teach as does Bill Nye the so called Science Guy. That is what confuses students!

J M Green
Email: MailTo: