Re: [Phys-l] The Crazy Old Sea Captain - A Parable of Science?

At 08:51 PM 2/9/2008, Leon De'oliviera, you wrote:

This story would make a great assignment to a class about the nature of
experimentation, or a story of how scientists are thought of. My thought on
this is that the nature of an experiment is changed simply by examining it
no matter how unobtrusive we try to be. I would like to see what students
would come up with to relate this story to science.....

There are stories which seem to resonate in our sensibilities.
Greyfriars Bobby is one about about canine loyalty even unto
death - but the example I will mention here, intertwines the
Sea-captain motif as well, with the cannon fired to mark
the time - in this case 1 o'clock, rather than noon - from
the Castle ramparts at Edinburgh.

<http://www.essortment.com/greyfriarsbobby_rtyw.htm>

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!