Re: [Phys-l] Another alternative theory horror

On 02/09/2008 08:55 PM, Steve Clark wrote:

I asked a question which wasn't answered

It was answered.

- "because it works so well" didn't answer my question.

You may not like the answer, but it remains the right
answer. The other part of the answer, as previously
stated, is that the observed biology makes sense in terms
of evolution and not otherwise.

If you want a more detailed answer, ask a more detailed
question.

And, while evolution seems like a simple
theory, the mechanism that leads to new species is anything but
simple. I struggle with many of the explanations that I hear. How did
amphibians become reptiles. A lot of changing has to happen.

That's a new question.

The answer is that things change one mutation at a time.
It's like asking how could Beethoven possibly have written
the 9th symphony. The answer is, one note at a time.

For the next level of detail on the relationship of reptiles
to amphibians, see
http://tolweb.org/Terrestrial_Vertebrates/14952

We don't teach evolution because there is a mountain of evidence that
makes sense in terms of evolution and nothing else. We teach it
because it's on "the test".

Which leave us with the question, why is it on the test?
Again the answer is, because it works so well. The observed
biology makes sense in terms of evolution and not otherwise.

It might make them better biologists, but probably not better engineers.

A very great part of engineering in the 21st century will be
bio-engineering.