[Phys-l] Is Teaching an Art or a Science? (was valid assessment)

Marty Weiss (2008), in his Chemed-L post of 5 Feb 2008 titled "Re: valid assessment; was pre&post testing" wrote:

"I have said this before and I will repeat it here. . . . . education and teaching is an ART NOT A SCIENCE!"

Marty echoes:

a. The 75-year-old statement of physicist F.K. Richtmyer (1933): 'Teaching, I say, is an art, and not a science. . . in no sense can teaching be said to be a science."

b. The 30-year-old statement of Ralph Goodwin (1978): "After more than two-score years [Richtmyer's statement] has not been proven wrong."

"Let us agree at the outset that good teaching is an art, fully deserving our respect and admiration. It does not follow, however, as Goodwin seems to think, that there cannot also be a science of teaching. . . . . . Medical practice is widely acknowledged to be an art, but who doubts the possibility of medical science? Is teaching so different because it ministers to the mind?"

For a recent discussion consistent with Hestenes (1979) see "Can Scientific Research Enhance the Art of Teaching?" [Hake (2007)].

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>

"The academic area is one of the most difficult areas to change in our society. We continue to use the same methods of instruction, particularly lectures, that have been used for hundreds of years. Little scientific research is done to test new approaches, and little systematic attention is given to the development of new methods. Universities that study many aspects of the world ignore the educational function in which they are engaging and from which a large part of their revenues are earned."
Richard Cyert, former president of Carnegie Mellon University, in Tuma & Reif (1980).