Re: [Phys-l] Am I missing something here?

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
"In 1898 Wien studied the canal rays discovered by Goldstein and
concluded that they were the positive equivalent of the negatively-
charged cathode rays. He measured their deviation by magnetic and
electric fields and concluded that they are composed of positively-
charged particles never heavier than electrons."

From Wikipedia (and as I remember it from the time I studied these things)

Anode rays (or Canal rays) were observed in experiments by a [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany ]German [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientist ]scientist, [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugen_Goldstein ]Eugen Goldstein, in [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1886 ]1886. Goldstein used a [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_filled_tube ]gas discharge tube which had
a perforated [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode ]cathode. A "ray" is
produced in the holes (canals) in the cathode and travels in a direction
opposite to the "[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray ]cathode
rays," which are streams of [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron
]electrons. Goldstein called these positive rays "Kanalstrahlen" - canal
rays because it looks like they are passing through a canal. In [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1907 ]1907 a study of how this "ray" was
deflected in a [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field ]magnetic
field, revealed that the [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_physics
]particles making up the ray were not all the same [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass ]mass. The lightest, formed when there
was a little [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen ]hydrogen in the
tube, was calculated to be 1837 times as massive as an [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron ]electron.

Indicates that the "Canal Rays" were the nuclei of atoms that donated
their electrons to be the Cathode Rays.

Pete Lohstreter "Happy is he who gets to know
The Hockaday School the reasons for things. "
11600 Welch Rd Virgil (70-19 BCE) Roman poet.
Dallas, TX 75229

214-360-6389

plohstreter@mail.hockaday.org

See what our students are doing......