Re: [Phys-l] Time-travel physicist

At 04:38 PM 1/30/2008, Fred Lemmerhirt, you wrote:

Today I received an announcement of a local (on-campus) appearance of a
presentation called The Science of Time Travel by Dr. Ron Mallett. ....
Dr. Mallet has culminated in his discovery of the effects
of circulating laser light, which he believes drags time into a closed
loop."
Fred Lemmerhirt

Not quite relevent to the question, but the idea of circulating light
reminded me of some approaches to strap down 'gyroscopes'.
(Inertial references)
One commercial product was effectively a triangle of three glass
legs, which carried a laser beam through many revolutions, whose
object was to detect a phase change when the triangle was rotated.
Another comparable approach was a bobbin round which was wound
a long optical fiber.
I seem to recall that these things tended to 'lock up' at low rotation
rates, but that shortcoming could somehow be overcome.....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!