[Phys-l] Another uncertainties question...

(Sorry for a cross-post...)

So -- awhile ago, I ran into another problem regarding uncertainties.

For some groundwater contamination, a friend had to compute a weighted average of some values over times and locations. Some values were given as standard (value ± uncertainty) or equivalent, which is of course straightforward enough. But the question I wasn't sure about was how to deal with the non-detect results... Often they were reported as something like: "Less than xxx ppm" or somesuch...

Is there a standard accepted way to deal with non-detects? It seems not quite correct to do any of the following: Ignore it, call it zero, use the threshold detect value, or to use the threshold detect as the uncertainty for either.

Anybody had a similar experience or know what accepted procedure is?

Jason Alferness

A person, who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter/waitress, is not a nice person. (This is very important. Pay attention - It never fails.) Dave Barry from "FIFTEEN THINGS THAT IT TOOK ME OVER 50 YEARS TO LEARN"

Jason Alferness
University of Washington
Room B256B, Physics & Astronomy Building
Campus Box 351560
Seattle, Washington.  98195-1560

Phone: (206) 221-2974
FAX : (206) 685-0635