Re: [Phys-l] formatting uncertainties

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>
... I suspect that the primary thing most instructors
are dealing with is students multiplying two values on their calculators and
then writing down every digit that appears.

Is that a problem? Why should that be a problem? Tell me,
please, who is harmed by those "extra" digits? How does the
cost of keeping "extra" digits compare to the cost of keeping
too few digits?

It depends on what the student thinks she is communicating when she says (reading off the calculator) that the volume of the rectangular solid (H = 5.67 cm, L = 3.25 cm, W = 4.11 cm--as measured in lab) is 75.737025 cm^3. This is a typical situation where significant figures (digits) are introduced and they work well enough for this. They also work fairly well for most other intro level experiments. Having 4 'guard' digits in the answer seems more confusing to me--does the student really understand the level of uncertainty in the answer?

Rick