From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Larry Smith
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:03 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: [Phys-l] Physics Grammar

The Physics Teacher, current issue (Feb 2008), page 74, has a couple
of
items relating to "physics grammar" that I would like the list's
response
to.

------begin quote------

1. Light is defined as that portion of the Electromagnetic Spectrum to
which the human eye is sensitive. So light is "visible
Electromagnetic
Radiation (EMR)." Thus "visible light" is redundant because it would
translate to "visible visible EMR." The terms "infrared light" and
"ultraviolet light" are also incorrect because "light" is the visible
part
of the EMR and infrared and ultraviolet radiation are not visible.