Re: [Phys-l] Energy balance in charging battery

On 01/21/2008 12:32 PM, Savinainen Antti wrote:

When a battery is being charged the power at which energy is
transported to the battery is given by the "standard" model:

P = (E + Ir) * I

where E = emf, r = internal resistance of the battery and I =
current.

The question is: what part of this power goes into heating the
battery and what part goes into chemical energy? Is the heating part
simply the same as when the battery is used as a power supply (rI*I)?

Yes.

It has to be, by conservation of energy among other things,
when you consider the full charge/discharge cycle.

If that's not a sufficiently detailed answer, please ask a
more specific question.