Re: [Phys-l] The attack on science is political, not philosophical

There are always 'gray areas'--although for me this is not one largely due to my personal view of 'animal activists'. Imagine what the consequences of a full PETA agenda would be (would have been) on medical science. And why not include INSECTS in one's protection--save the mosquito!

As to another post though, yes it is quite possible for the society to decide NOT to teach evolution. That is the danger in a true democracy or worse, in a theocracy. Ignorance CAN rule. The US republic style government offers a little more protection and a well-written constitution even more, but in the end--the society decides. It does impose religious ideas on all (IN GOD WE TRUST if nothing else). The Indiana Supreme Court has twice ruled that tax payers have no right to sue over prayers in the legislature? Education is our first line of defense, but it is not impregnable!

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "LaMontagne, Bob" <RLAMONT@providence.edu>

However, what about a child who has taken a moral stand against
experimenting on animals. Do we force that child to dissect frogs and
cats? Is the point of the schooling to learn how to dissect or to learn
anatomy?

Bob at PC