Re: [Phys-l] g & E fields

At 05:07 AM 1/7/2008, you wrote:
Quoting Brian Whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net>:
> At 08:02 PM 12/3/2007, you wrote:
>> Here is another tricky question on the energy of the electromagnetic
>> wave: Is the intensity of the bright fringe (For example, Young's
>> Double Slit Experiment) always the same when the electromagnetic field
>> is varying? Neither is this question easy to be explained too.
>>
>> Alphonsus
>
> I'll bite: why is the intensity of a varying sinusoidal wave not
> instantaneously varying?

Don't bite! This is a very deep question!
From the theoretical perspective, the intensity of the em wave is not
zero when the electric field is zero instantaneously. Why? The
magnetic field is in its maximum.

Practically speaking, Young Double Slit experiment is also a quantum
physics problem. For example, if you aim one photon at a time, you may
not obsserve photons around the "bright finge" instantaneously.

Hence, it is not simply a question of varying sinusoidal
electromagnetic wave, but quantum wave function or psi wave!

Alphonsus

I am doubtless being obtuse by supposing that the rules that
obtain at low frequencies i.e. for detecting the electric field
of an em wave with a dipole also obtain at light frequencies.
It boils down to this: how do you wish to define intensity?
If you choose the electric component, your argument fails:
if the electric and magnetic components, your argument
succeeds.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!