Re: [Phys-l] Simulating a disturbance of a stable planetary system.

On Jan 2, 2008, at 9:21 AM, John Denker wrote:
I still think we should discuss the physics first and worry
about terminology later (if at all).

I'm not the one asking the question, so don't ask me what's
important to me (irrelevant) ... and don't ask me what's
important to you (I don't know).

Is there a physics question here? If so, please show us
the physics! It should be possible to formulate objective
statements (and questions) about the physics without using
any questionable terminology. For example, you might
describe an experiment and discuss objectively observable
outcomes of the experiment.

1) The underlying physics is not different from what students learn in a typical introductory course. What we are discussing here might be a base for a classroom activity, or a student project.

2) In fact, am thinking about a possibility of writing a short note about the ongoing discussion for The Physics Teacher. Do we have an acceptable definition of stability of a state of motion or not?
Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physicist
5 Horizon Road, apt. 2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/