Re: [Phys-l] Prising electrons from the atom

2) Why cannot a hammer and chisel that can exert a force of say, 100
Newtons be used to prise an electron away from the nucleus of a copper
atom
in a copper bar given that the radius of an atom is of the order of
10-10meters and the electric force of attraction between a proton and
an electron
that are this far apart is a *mere 2.3 x 10**-8 **Newtons** ?* (Electric
and
Magnetic Interactions by Sherwood and Chabay)

How do you know it can't be done?
How sure are you?

Hint: triboelectricity (aka "static electricity"). There's lots
of that this time of year (in northern temperate regions).

One suggestion made by a machine tool designer is that the area over which
the sharp chisel transmits the force maybe considered to be "several" atoms
across and the stress is calculated as force / area. The stress is therefore
much smaller and this probablycannot be sufficient enough to prise the
electron.
And yet, I feel John Denker maybe right and I will need to look into the
triboelectricity aspect.

Thanks
Sridhar

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:46 PM, Bernard Cleyet <bernardcleyet@redshift.com