Re: [Phys-l] OFF-TOPIC: Basic scientific literacy

Hi all-
Since I don't really know what science is, although some people seem to claim that it includes astrology, I won't join the pontification on what everyone should know, and why. I do have a couple of modest hopes, mostly concerned with traffic safety:

1. Illinois teaches that a safe following distance is 2 seconds interval. Few citizens or police officers have worked out that this is equivalent to about 1 yard separation for each mile/hr of traffic sppeed.
So why don't we have more rear-enders, because almost no vehicles observe that distance?. Well, I checked with the Illinois Secretary of state,
and it turns out that we do, although the ones not involving personalo injury aree not reported in the local press.
Also, how is the 2 second interval related to reaction time?
An what happens between the time the following driver sees the flashing tail light on the car in front, and the time the brakes are applied - in my classes my experiments suggested a minimum of 1/4 s?

2. What is the ``science'' behind teen mortality on our highways? I can only guess at this, but her's my guess. The human brain does not develop its reasoning capacities until about age 25. Up until that time, young humans merely imaitate their elders and other objects that can be copied - from real life or fiction. Understanding of human intellectual devolpment may play an important role in preserving the lives of our young people.

3. Global warming. Need I say more?
4. How much does ethanol from corn help the environment?
5. What are the down sides of the present administration's proposal for a Hydrogen economy?
Enjoy!
Regards,
Jack