Re: [Phys-l] Electromagnetic flow meter ?

At 06:46 AM 12/15/2008, Roberto Carabajal Perez, you wrote:
Hello:

We are trying to develop a lab experience building an electromagnetic liquid flow meter 'magmeter'. We know that the operation of a magnetic flowmeter is based upon Faraday's Law, which states that the voltage induced across any conductor as it moves at right angles through a magnetic field is proportional to the velocity of that conductor.

The liquid is salted water flowing at 1 m/s speed.
As a tube, there is an hypodermic syringe (1.25 cm diameter), with two conductive sensors in oposite sides.
The magnetic field is provided by a 300 turns coil reeled on a TV flyback ferrite nucleus, with a trasversal area of 1.5 cm2.
The driving current is 2 A alternate current (50 Hertz).
In the ferrite nucleus, there is a 1.25 cm gap, wide enough to hold the tube (hypodermic syringe) inside it.

We expected an induced voltage, suitable to be observed in an osciloscope, but we can´t measure any useful signal.
Has somebody carried out a similar experience? . Any suggestion?

My best regards.
Roberto

It would be interesting to see the experimental details, with a diagram of some kind.
I am imagining a salt solution flowing out of a syringe on whose interior is a pair of
electrodes, and with pole pieces set perpendicular to those electrodes.
Is this anything like your arrangement?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!