Re: [Phys-l] Question about Quarks and the Standard Model

I agree with Jack that a good starting place is Feynman. However, the conclusion you can draw from Feynman is that photons exert all sorts of longitudinal and transverse forces (whatever those mean in the context of relativistic movements), especially at the scale of the atom. To wit, a parenthetical remark from QED, Chapter 3:

"Perhaps you have heard somewhere that light comes in
only two states of polarization - for example, a photon going in the
Z direction can be polarized at right angles, either in the X or Y
direction. Well, you guessed it: in situations where the photon goes
a long distance and appears to go at the speed of light, the amplitudes for the Z and T terms exactly cancel out."

I read this as being yet another manifestation of the difficulty in trying to temporally or spatially nail down photons; restrict their paths to go between a proton and an electron, and something has got to pop out the sides and give strong evidence of degrees of freedom. In this case, it's the photons' longitudinal polarizations which don't cancel out over short paths.
One book which might be helpful for a not-very-detailed description of how these things fit together is Brian Duff's Fundamental Particles, An Introduction to Quarks and Leptons. It's not a comprehensive overview, and I vehemently disagree with some of his Feynman diagrams in the beginning (they purport to show scattering of the particles exchanging photons, but show no spacelike change whatsoever), but the big picture is nice, and not cluttered too much with lots of details.

Regards,
Curtis