From: John Denker <jsd@av8n.com>
To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 10:28:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] pistol shrimp

On 12/03/2008 09:15 PM, Vern Lindberg wrote:

If it is sonluminexcence the claim is not a spoof.

Agreed!

Sonoluminescence is somewhat amazing, but it is quite
real. The result has been reproduced by literally
hundreds of people, because in some places the
experiment is done as an exercise in the intermediate
lab (physics majors in their junior year).

The basic equipment to do it is cheap. The procedure is
fussy, but once you've got it started it just keeps going
like the proverbial bunny. Of course if you want to make
incisive measurements on what's going on, it's going to
take some expensive optics and fancy electronics.

Think about the physics: Start with the equation for a
sound wave in spherical polar coordinates. It's singular
at the origin! It would be surprising if something weird
/didn't/ happen to a radially inbound wave. And then
surface tension helps run up the pressure even higher.

Also note that going from 300K to 30,000K is only a 100-to-1
compression ratio. That's not a particularly huge ratio.

A heavily modified version of the same principles can be
used to make a Mr. Fusion machine:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7654627/