Re: [Phys-l] [tap-l] Energy Conservation?

Most watt-hour meter measures "real power" the product of volts time amps with phase taken into effect. The phase factor is thus included. But if you measure it with a volt and ammeter you ignore the phase. Since power companies are in the business of selling "Power" (energy) there meters should correct for it. This is one of the reasons that many power substations will have racks of big capacitors to adjust the average phase.
In the old days watt meters had two coils one whose field is proportional to the current and the other the voltage. Thus correcting for the phase.
Recently I bought a meter call a "Kill A Watt" that out performs the old watt meters. It will measure the sources voltage, current, power, VA, frequency, and power factor all in one unit. In addition It measures time and KWH as well. It was under thirty dollars, where as my power meter I bought over thirty years ago, cost me about fifty dollars not correcting for inflation.
The KWH feature allows you to leave it plugged into to device your measuring and see how much total power it uses over time.
Gary