Re: [Phys-l] Data Analysis Questions

At 04:11 PM 11/28/2008, you wrote:
This is why I suggested a bimodal result. The hole in the middle is
the 1%'ers removed. Re pistons, I thought they all were undersized,
and the rings adjusted for any variation.

bc, knows the mass (moment of I, approximately) is adjusted carefully
by the mechanic's filing the crook at the big end of the more massive
ones.

I don't suppose I am explaining myself at all clearly.
It is possible to separate a population of resistors into ALL
3% values or ALL 1% values. The values from any particular
tolerance band are intended to be contiguous. It is not at all
certain there would be a hole in any
particular distribution by the removal of a nominal
close-tolerance value.
Still, now that resistors are usually not carbon composition,
but rather, metal oxide, which has its surface cut in a helix
to suit the desired values, I believe the values are more nearly
set as required, rather than sorted.
As to 'con rods' or piston rods, the racing set like to weigh the
big end and the small end of each, to set them to similar values.
Engine manufacturers have sometimes allowed the tolerance on
bore size to vary more widely than usual, and paired these bores
with appropriately sized pistons etc.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!