Re: [Phys-l] Question about Quarks and the Standard Model

Hi Tony-
Your questions are well-founded and illustrate some important misconceptions.
The electromagnetic force comes in tow varieties, longitudinal and transverse. The transverse forces are mediated by photons, which are two-component objects; one for each polarisation of the photon. The longitudinalo component of the electromagnetic interaction - the coulomb force - are not thought of as carried by photons (which, after all, are transverse objects.)
So your first question is moot; the photon is not important to the force felt by a proton from a nearby nucleon of similar charge.
The quark view of matter is important to understanding the analyses being carried out today in connection with the LHC. The current model is that a proton is a collection of three quarks (and losts of other "stuff") and the pp collisions in the LHC can be analyzed as collisions between the quarks in the colliding protons. This type of analysis has worked well at Fermilab, and it remains to see how well it will work at the LHC.
Regards,
Jack