Re: [Phys-l] A question for the list members

I was just thinking that some sort of list aimed at communicating in the
reverse direction might be more interesting. I'm sure lots of folks have
specific ideas on what the publishers should put into their materials, what
they like and don't like, etc.

Is there such a thing in existence already? I would hope there are some
publishing people on this list that already use it toward that end. (Are
you out there?)

As a specific example, here's one thing I've wondered about: Why have I
never seen an intro physics text with an appendix on how to better use one's
calculator? I've encountered many students who don't know how to use
parentheses properly when evaluating complicated expressions, and some don't
even know they can use calculator memories to save writing intermediate
results on paper and retyping!

Also, with the powerful calculators and computer algebra programs we have
these days, I think more emphasis should be placed on using them to do the
'dirty work' of solving batches of simultaneous equations rather than doing
it all by hand. Students get the idea that physics is all algebra if you
make that chore take up most of their time.

Steve Highland
Duluth MN

Does the list wish to be notified of upcoming titles from publishers? Do we
draw the line at books or should any physics-related commercial product be
allowed an announcement on the list?

The current tally of the responses both on list and personally to me offlist
is 15 to 1 against with an additional vote that may be interpreted as a
maybe.
I think this question is settled and I will pass the info along to the
publisher who originally asked the question.

There is another question one might ask: "What about the possibility of a
separate list for commercial posts and announcements?" Members who do not
wish to receive these posts would not subscribe to the second list but may
still view the archives.

Mark