Re: [Phys-l] partial derivative at constant WHAT?

On 11/15/2008 12:58 PM, David Bowman wrote:

- ∂ P |
Ks = ------ | [1]
∂ ln V |S

is called the adiabatic bulk modulus, and its inverse is call
the adiabatic compressibility. It is common but sloppy to call
them "the" bulk modulus and "the" compressibility.

I was under the impression that these 'sloppy' names that are
unmodified by appropriate descriptive adjectives were more
commonly used of the *isothermal* quantities rather than for
the adiabatic ones. For instance if you look up the
compressibility/bulk modulus for various substances in the CRC
tables I believe you will find the isothermal ones tabulated
there.

In my CRC, the main table speaks of the fully-qualified
"isothermal" compressibility. This provides little
guidances as to what unqualified terms such as "the"
compressibility might mean.

There is another table that speaks of "the" compressibility
under conditions where I can't tell whether it's isothermal
or adiabatic, and it probably doesn't matter. So that's
not much help either.

If you want the adiabatic ones (maybe because you want to
calculate the speed of sound)

MINOR POINT: That nicely illustrates one side of the
problem. It is commonplace to find the speed of sound
explained in terms of the density and "the" compressibility.
Under ordinary conditions, and a wide range of other
conditions besides, you'd better use the adiabatic
compressibility. Blithely assuming "the" compressibility
means the isothermal compressibility will give you the
wrong answer. (Amusing historical note: Issac Newton
made this mistake. But even if you're in good company,
it's still a mistake.)

MORE IMPORTANTLY: I don't want to argue about which
type of sloppy terminology is _more_ common. I think
we can agree that *both* are common enough to pose a
major problem. (If only one were common, we could
call it a "convention" and remove the ambiguity.)

IMHO this is only the tip of a very nasty iceberg. I
see lots of textbooks where people write partial derivatives
without specifying what is to be held constant. Such
expressions are just begging to be misunderstood.

Long ago I promised myself that I would always write the
"at constant ..." qualifiers on every partial derivative.
The benefits far outweigh the costs.