Re: [Phys-l] Inertia?

At 07:34 AM 11/13/2008, David Bowman, you wrote:

>>...In the bending of starlight around massive stars, are the shorter
>>wavelength photons bent more than longer, or is the bending the same
>>for all wavelengths?
>I suppose that the higher energy photons are bent more, using that
>old didactically discredited equivalence of energy and mass.

All wavelengths are bent the same amount if they have the same impact
parameter. The photon's energy is irrelevant as long as that energy
remains a tiny fraction of the rest energy of the gravitating star,
(which is a pretty good approximation for all the photons I know of)....
David Bowman

What is the impact parameter, in the context of a photon?
Is it related to energy, by any chance? :-)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!