Re: [Phys-l] Inertia?

My prob. was w/ the slinky effect -- only the first or second cart should fall not all of them especially continuing after the truck stopped.

bc

On 2008, Nov 10, , at 19:23, Michael Porter wrote:

On 10-Nov-08, at 9:38 PM, chuck britton wrote:
but is it not the objects inertia that KEEPS it from gaining 'much'
motion??

I've seen demos such as the tablecloth one described as an examples of
Newton's First Law, which is usually stated as "An object with no net
force maintains constant velocity," or words to that effect. My
problem with it is that most of these demos DO involve a net force, so
the first law doesn't hold.

Mike

---
Michael Porter