Re: [Phys-l] STUDY SUGGESTS NO CHILD LAW MAY BE DUMBING DOWNSTUDENTS

On 11/10/2008 11:59 AM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote in part:

Again, secondary education in this country was in deep trouble long
before NCLB, especially in urban areas.

So?

That doesn't mean they can't get worse.

According to a gao.gov analysis, the number of schools
"identified for improvement" (to borrow a phrase) "increased
from about 8,400 in school year 2004-2005 to over 10,700 in
2006-2007".
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d08380.pdf

These schools were predominantly in poor and/or minority areas.

I tried to get more complete information from ed.gov, without
success. I'm virtually certain they are collecting the data;
they just aren't making it easy to obtain.