Re: [Phys-l] hurricane question

Omar was a rather high latitude hurricane. That put it more quckly into the Westerly zonal flow. Also, If you look back at the 500 mb and 200 mb charts for that period, there was a strong steering low just Northeast of the hurricane - which would explain the Northerly track.

Bob at PC

________________________________

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu on behalf of Jack Uretsky
Sent: Sat 11/8/2008 9:31 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] hurricane question

Hi Mary-
The Nimitz class came in long after my active duty deployments,
although I did a two week tour on the Independence later, as a reservist.
I don't care what the size or displacement, mother nature is always able
to top you. And, as many, including Feynman, have emphasized, it is
always a mistake to generalize from individual experiences.
I'm glad you've enjoyed your seagoing experiences, I look back on
mine with pleasure. That pleasure is not diminished by the appreciation
of those old friends who did not survive to enjoy similar memories.
Regards,
Jack