Re: [Phys-l] hurricane question

At 09:31 AM 11/8/2008, Marty, you wrote:
Hurricanes usually begin as tropical depressions in the Atlantic off
the coast of Africa, and then work their way westward to the Caribbean
or Gulf, hitting Florida or the Gulf coast, with some heading north
toward the Carolinas or Bermuda before ending up in New England,
etc. Lately in this season, however, we have seen two hurricanes in
a row (Omar and Paloma) starting in the Caribbean as depressions,
developing quickly into category 3 storms hitting the islands from the
south and west and then heading out into the Atlantic. Why does this
reverse pattern occur? Does it have anything to do with colder
weather patterns and ocean temperatures in the Atlantic?
...Marty

I know so little meteorology that I am empowered to give you a
quite definitive answer. Here it is.
Nobody knows with any great assurance what the detailed genesis
or path of a hurricane or tornado will surely be.
You already know the motivator for these effects - the heat engine
provided by air mass, and sea mass temperatures. You can take it
that with an unusual hurricane genesis, there will be an unusual
associated thermal driver.
Was that helpful? :-)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!