Re: [Phys-l] STUDY SUGGESTS NO CHILD LAW MAY BE DUMBING DOWNSTUDENTS

How many here give NO tests, NO quizzes, NO exams to assess student performance? How many courses did you take through your academic career that had none? How many of us have never faced critical 'examinations' in our lives. This is all part of life--at least part of the well ingrained societal system of life.

Now I don't disagree that many of the tests are poor and that teaching to THESE tests is bad. Rather I would call for tests that require the skills and thinking that we really want students to attain. If the tests were good--if they tested critical thinking and the like--then teachers would teach to those tests--they'd have to. Fix the tests--that would go a long way towards fixing the problems John and others have related.

In the end though--the real question, for all levels of education, IS ASSESSMENT. How do you best assess student performance, student advancement, student success? 'Trust the professional teachers' is what one often hears, is even what I would hope would be applied to me personally, but the sad truth is that such trust has failed in the past. Everyone, at every educational institution, knows there are teachers around them who are not very professional, who do not know their subjects, who are not doing their jobs vis a vis the students. Sometimes the numbers of such teachers is far too high. Someone is PAYING us to educate their children, and especially in the public sector there have been spectacular failures in this. NCLB exists BECAUSE of the poor job that was being done prior. It may not have fixed the problems (at least not all) and many believe it has caused new problems, but to believe that eliminating NCLB and high stakes testing will suddenly fix our education problems is senseless. Throwing more money at education without a solid plan of professional development for teachers, pedagogical reform, meaningful assessment, and most importantly increased parental and student involvement AND responsibility in the education process will most likely be of little help.

Students HAVE to get more involved in their own education--they need to want to learn (past the 3rd grade!). Those of us at the College level, especially at private colleges, are fairly well insulated from the apathy and even active resistance of students to being educated. We don't face sub-cultures and seriously devalue education--making it a social stigma rather than a badge of success. As the family structure disintegrates, so does the prime support for schools, teachers, and students. How many of us 'performed' at school to please our parents?

So--if we don't want testing, especially high stakes like graduation tests, SAT, GRE, ACT, etc., then we had better have an alternative that can satisfy the public as a whole and the legislators in particular, that we are succeeding in our task to education the children. My take is to fix the tests--the infrastructure, the culture, the expectations are already in place for 'testing' as the primary means of assessment--lets use it more wisely.

Rick

***************************
Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics