Re: [Phys-l] STUDY SUGGESTS NO CHILD LAW MAY BE DUMBING DOWNSTUDENTS

I don't see the value of shielding students from high stakes testing--they will encounter it sooner or later driving test, SAT, GRE, college exams, job interviews, performance evaluations, etc. There can always be a mechanism for students who have performed very well in classes but tested very poorly to be retested, but testing is part of life. Get over it!

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mariam Dittmann" <mariam.dittmann@bainbridge.edu>

He had extreme test anxiety. We had high stakes testing starting at
late elementary. He was always convinced that he wouldn't be allowed to
move on. We once spent a week getting him over a skills testing session
(ITBS) that he was sure was going to keep him out of the next grade.
This was simply because he had heard that a high stakes test was being
developed and so he decided that this must have been it. He also
worried himself sick about the graduation test. I am not a fan of high
stakes testing for this reason. When we expressed concern about this to
the county during the development of high stakes testing for our
county/state, we were told that students like my son were in the
minority and so weren't considered a problem. Generally, I have found
that the students who need to worry about whether they will pass don't
worry enough for the most part while the ones who do worry shouldn't.