From: tap-l-owner@lists.ncsu.edu [mailto:tap-l-owner@lists.ncsu.edu] On
Behalf Of Anthony Lapinski
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:26 PM
To: tap-l@lists.ncsu.edu; phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Subject: [tap-l] absorption spectra

In my high school astronomy class, I will be discussing light and
spectra soon. I wish to do a lab/activity where students can analyze
various light sources with a diffraction grating. It is easy to show
continuous spectra with a candle or light bulb, and emission spectra
with gas tubes. I am looking for a way to show an absorption spectrum.
In the past I had students use colored filters to cover an incandescent
light bulb. This sort of mimics the atmosphere of a star.

Does anyone have other ways to show absorption spectra using simple
materials?