Re: [Phys-l] Question about Quarks and the Standard Model

Good morning,

phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu wrote on 10/18/2008 05:52:03 PM:

In order to see how remarkable, I would love to see what
happens if you try the following, which I do when I teach:
Require your students, in the last two or three minutes of each
class period to quickly write down on a piece of paper, and hand in
their answers to the two questions:
1. What, if anything, sticks in my mind about today's lesson?
2. What question can I think of relating to today's lesson?

I have been considering doing this for some time. I have not yet gotten
around to doing it for a couple reasons: one is keeping track of all
those bits of paper seems a bit daunting :-), the main reason, though,
is that I *start* each class by asking them "are there any questions
today?", and they often have follow-up questions from the previous
session. I suspect that forcing them to write down their questions
while the material is still fresh in their minds would be even more
productive, but I haven't quite been up to tackling the organizational
aspect of all the bits of paper. It's also hard, emotionally, to think
of "giving up" those last few minutes, although I know it's not really
a loss, as the gain (from what I've read) from the technique far outweighs
anything else you could do with those three minutes. :-) I suspect I
will try this next semester.

Yours,

Don Smith
Guilford College Physics Department