Re: [Phys-l] Transparency

Another related phenomenon is a pile of plates*. I was reminded of this when I saw a number of rolls of what I thought was aluminized plastic film at RAFT**. I unrolled a layer and found it was transparent, while the roll was mirror silver; sufficiently specular to see reflected objects. At home I observed a cover glass***, quite transparent, a stack of 50 was a poor quality mirror with a little transmission when interposed between a bright lamp

* Normally used to separate s and p waves. Before high quality lithography, selenium pellicles for the infrared.

**http://www.raft.net/index.php?pg=main

*** plastic tissue culture cover slips (from RAFT). I didn't find my box of microscope slides.

bc