[Phys-l] new construction help

Hey.

I teach at St. Anthony Village High School, just outside of Minneapolis.
We are currently planning a renovation of our science rooms. We are
continually being told to design world class labs for the next 100
years. In the next few weeks we will be taking tours of local schools
to take a look at some newer science labs.

I have three questions (or maybe 2 with an a&b on #2):
First- if you are from the Minneapolis area, can you recommend a school
that we visit?

Second- what items am I missing from the list below (if I am creating a
world class h.s. lab for the next century)? I am the only physics
teacher in the building. One or two extra heads on this would be nice.

Three- (2b?)- What additional requirements would you recommend for a
facility that also plans to be a STEM focus district (k-12) with
engineering & robotics opportunities at the high school. We offer Pro/E
cad courses (through our industrial tech dept), and plan to offer
additional metal working facilities in the industrial tech dept that
might be shared by with physics and engineering courses.

Thanks in advance,

The list that I have right now is:

Room (Physics)
1. Networked locations for Printer & Scanner.
2. Separate work room(or room within a room) for robotics / rockets
/ University Engineering challenges (removable doors/garage door?)
3. Sound Field complete room amplification system
4. Short reach, wide screen projector with wide screen & wide
screen interactive board or slate
5. External display case to hallway for posters, upcoming events,
demos etc...(w/ power)
6. Support hooks on the ceilings for HEAVY pendulum etc...
7. Wall space for peg board, bulletin boards and whiteboards
8. Blackout curtains on the windows for doing optics stuff.
9. ac outlets overhead is very convenient since it gets the cords
off the desktop and they are easier to reach than those on or near the
floor.
10. Projector on a swivel so we can send the image to different
locations.

Lab
1. Make sure the lab stations are large enough (or structured) to
accommodate a computer without taking up all the desk top space.
2. Each lab table have
a. audio & video output to projector
b. water
c. gas
d. ac
e. 5 Vdc & 12Vdc
f. dry compressed air
g. data drop
3. minimum of 4 slots for rods / supports. Possible screw in caps
for slots?
4. Wide overhangs on the table tops so that various clamps can be
attached easily. We use c-clamps with reckless abandon, so it is
cumbersome to attach things to the tables.

Demo / Lecture Area:
11. Video Table for demonstrations (flat white background?) set to
the side (not in front of) projector & screen.
12. Demo Table should have:
a. Audio & video output to projector & speakers
b. Water
c. Gas
d. ac
e. 5 Vdc & 12Vdc
f. Dry compressed air
g. Data drop

Storage:
1. Portable Whiteboard storage (~2'x3')
2. Storage for nuts, bolts, screws, rivets, drivers, wrenches,
etc...
3. Power in cabinets for charging equipment.
4. Hooks or long shelves for Big Tracks
5. Shallow cabinets: deep cabinets get things shuffled to the back
(14" max?)

Again, I am looking for help with two items:
1- Any schools you would recommend we visit in the Minneapolis
area.
2- Any suggestions for room construction that we might have missed
on the list above.

Thanks again.
Have a good one.
Lastly, I apologize if this is inappropriate for this list, or if you
have received this from multiple lists. Thanks for your patience and
help.

Paul Lulai . . . To wonder is to begin to understand
Physics Instructor
Science Olympiad Coach
US First Robotics Teacher
.: Medtronic - St Anthony RoboHuskie Team 2574:.
Saint Anthony Village Senior High School, ISD 282
3303 33rd Avenue N.E.
Saint Anthony Village, MN 55418
(w) 612-706-1144
(fax) 612-706-1140