Re: [Phys-l] Oscilloscope Simulation

On 09/24/2007 11:54 PM, Bill Rachinger wrote:
I am generally interested in the use of simulations as a prelude to
student’s use of equipment in the laboratory,and particularly related to
the basic operations of an oscilloscope. I would appreciate hearing
details of and experiences with such simulations.

It may be that no such thing as an "oscilloscope simulation"
exists ... for the following reason:

Given that it is possible to turn a PC into an oscilloscope,
turning a PC into a "simulated" oscilloscope seems like a
step in the wrong direction.

The basics of oscilloscope behavior such as triggering
and timebases and voltage-scales are not just simulated by
the PC oscilloscope, they are out-and-out implemented.

One case of particular
interest utilises a Tektronix oscilloscope.

The PC oscilloscope will not have as much frequency range
or as much input impedance as the Tek ... but the PC can
"simulate" the Tek if you just close your eyes to the
limitations.

Other than high frequency and high impedance, what do you
want to do that you can't do with a PC oscilloscope?

Extra credit question:
What do you call immobile office supplies?