Re: [Phys-l] [ap-physics] The Swinging Bucket Problem

"... net means total and hope that this name works."
Why buck millions of people w/ a neologism.
Business people, economists, et al. won't agree w/ you, and what about all those truckers that have net weight printed on their rigs.

bc, eschews neologisms, as instructed by Strunk and White.

Paul Lulai wrote:

Normal force is that of two surfaces with the force perpendicular to the
surface.
Friction is a force btn two surfaces due to their contact
Gravitational Force is a a force due to masses attraction for each other
(at the Newtonian level)
Tension caused by a cable etc..

Centripetal force is the only force I can think of that has a name but
means total.
Jack's point that name is 'inconsequential as long as everyone is clear
on your meaning' is true & well-taken. I have gone a similar route to
Dan. I call it the net radial force. I try to beat into them that net
means total and hope that this name works. I suppose it might also work
to put similar effort into defining centripetal. However, it is the 1
exception to the trend of 'named' forces having a singular cause.

I think I first heard Boris K. use net radial to replace centripetal. I
have found it useful with my students.

Paul Lulai . . . To wonder is to begin to understand
Physics Instructor
Saint Anthony Village Senior High School, ISD 282
3303 33rd Avenue N.E.
Saint Anthony Village, MN 55418

(w) 612-706-1144
(fax) 612-706-1140