Re: [Phys-l] Kozol fasts to protest NCLB - defense of unions

Now of course to 'test' as JC wants, you have to have a set of national tests to replace the state tests so as to judge the effectiveness of teaching in each state--and those 'ain't going to be the FCI! ;-) With all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over state NCLB testing, what response would a national test produce??

If you look at what I wrote, I am suggesting comparing already in place national tests. Look at TIMMS results vs such things as right to work laws and tenure. Generally right to work states also do not have tenure, but not necessarily. This requires a little work.

I Am NOT suggesting having a high stakes national test. That was tried in England and did nothing to improve the education. We already have a low stakes sampling state by state.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX