To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] PER folks and units of g

I agree with Jeffrey's as the best solution. In my mind there is a huge
conceptual difference between a(g) and g. It is a wonderful point of nature
that they are numerically equal and even the units are equivalent (pun
intended). I tweak the brain by indicating that one day they will appreciate
this coincidence.

ma(g) = mg two concepts of mass are at work here as well.

One hard thing about this is conflicting with the text book or web
resources.

Ken Fox

On 9/17/07, Jeffrey Schnick <JSchnick@anselm.edu> wrote:

I use a_g = 9.8 m/s^2 for the acceleration of an object in freefall near
the surface of the earth and g = 9.8 N/kg for the magnitude of the
earth's near-surface gravitational field.